Plan International strives to advance children’s rights and equality for girls all over the world. As an independent development and humanitarian organisation, we work alongside children, young people, our supporters and partners to tackle the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood and enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. For over 80 years we have been building powerful partnerships for children, and we are active in over 75 countries.
Plan International Nigeria is part of the global federation of Plan International and was registered in Nigeria in 2014. Our intervention is currently focused on Protection (GBV and CP), basic education; improving community health services, youth and citizens’ participation in governance and creating economic opportunities and livelihoods for the neediest people, building resilient communities through our emergency and humanitarian response in the Northeast. Plan Nigeria works with communities, civil society organizations, development partners, government at all levels and the private sector.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification PhD/Fellowship
- Experience 10 years
- Location Sokoto
- Job Field Consultancy
- To understand what are the key barriers to education access for nomadic children (in particular girls) and the education needs in Sokoto state;
- To get an understanding of what curricula, programmatic approaches, and delivery mechanisms have been adopted so far to meet the education needs of nomadic school children in Sokoto state by identifying: what has worked- what has not worked – what are the gaps?
- To identify who are the key stakeholders at State, local level including INGOs/CSOs/UN agencies) working with the National Commission for Nomadic Education (NCNE)/ State Agency for Nomadic Education in Sokoto
- To identify who are the key actors/ stakeholders to engage with at community level
- To understand the political economy of Nomadic education in Sokoto state and Nigeria.
- To understand what are the education policies in place that address the needs of nomadic education children and what are the gaps/ bottlenecks rel
Methods for Data Collection and Analysis
A qualitative survey will be conducted using appropriate qualitative study designs to collect data from relevant respondents in Sokoto state. Key informant interviews (KIIs) as well as Focus group discussions (FGDs)will be conducted with the nomadic population: nomadic teachers, school aged girls and boys as well as their parents. The consultant will also develop appropriate data collection tools with appropriate study design, sample size determination and sampling technique to be reviewed by Plan International. S/he will also undertake comprehensive Literature review and analysis of existing data. The consultant will submit a draft methodology to Plan international for approval.
The methodology will include but will not be limited to:
- Focus group discussions
- Key stakeholder interviews
- Literature review
- Analysis of existing data
a. Focus Group Discussions
Eight (8) Focus group discussions (FGDs) will be conducted with the target groups per LGA;
- Nomadic girls and boys 9 – 12, 13 – 15, and 16 –18 and above
- Parents of these children.
- Nomadic teachers
FGDs will focus on understanding the experience and opinions of these groups to better understand the key barriers to education access for nomadic children (in particular girls) and the education needs in Sokoto state. The curricula, programmatic approaches, and delivery mechanisms that have been adopted so far to meet the education needs of nomadic school children in Sokoto state will also be assessed. Key questions should also seek to understand what has worked- what has not worked – what are the gaps? And why these have or have not worked previously. FGDs will be conducted in Sokoto north, Sokoto South and Wamakko LGA Sokoto State
The consultant is expected to have a Doctor of Philosophy or Doctor of Education degree in Education, (preferably nomadic education), or Research from a recognized higher institution with the following additional requirements:
- Over 10 years working experience in the field of Education
- Previous proven experience in conducting education- related need assessments, developing report, study etc in Sokoto state or other areas with similar context. The sample assessment(s) must be attached
- Strong analytical skills and research experience, with solid knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies
- Previous proven experience working with international or national non-government organizations.
- Ability to work on own initiative and to meet deadlines
- Attention to produce and present high-quality accurate presentations/reports
- Must be resident in Sokoto state
- Excellent command of English and Hausa. Knowledge of other local languages spoken in Sokoto state is a major plus
- Good skills in documentation and reporting
- Familiarity with Nomadic Education contexts and programmes in Nigeria
- Experience in conducting high quality research that engage multi-stakeholders from government, business, civil society stakeholders and grassroots community actor
Procedure for recruitment of consultant
The potential consultant should:
- Provide curriculum vitae detailing knowledge/experience in the above areas.
- Provide a report showing work on similar previous assignments.
- An outline of how he/she intends to go about the consultancy.
- Propose an expected consultancy fee/day.
- Detailed budget covering Logistics costs, per diem, transportation and materials, Cost for Enumerator(s).
- Possible dates s/he will be available to commence the consultancy.
- Provide name of two references that can attest to the consultant capability to conduct the consultancy.
A team from Plan International Nigeria will score the documentations provided by the potential consultant based on their technical “know how” and expected fee on the bases of 75% and 25% respectively
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: Nigeria.Consultant@plan-international.org using the position as subject of email.