WHAT IS EXFOLIATION
Exfoliating is the process of removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin using a chemical, granular substance, or exfoliation tool.
Your skin naturally sheds dead skin cells to make room for new cells every 30 days or so.
Sometimes, dead cells don’t shed completely. This can result in dry, flaky patches and clogged pores. Exfoliating can help prevent this but you also want to be careful and not over exfoliate as that can remove the cells that protects your face
WHY SHOULD YOU EXFOLIATE
You should exfoliate due to the following reason:
– Removing dead skin cells
– Improving circulation
– Encouraging skin turnover, resulting in brighter skin
– Allowing for better absorption of moisturizers and serums ( in this case if you noticed a particular cream is not just working for you again,this could be because there are much dead cells on your skin and you need exfoliation to remove them)
– For even skin tone
– Long-term exfoliating can increase collagen production. Collagen is key to glowing, vibrant skin. The protein also promotes skin elasticity, minimizing the appearance of fine lines and related sagging.
HOW TO GET THE BEST RESULT OUT OF EXFOLIATION (BONUS)
Before exfoliating your skin/face it is advisable to steam your face to reap the full benefits of exfoliation.
– Boil three cups of water
– Pour the water into a large bowl
– Position your face towards the direction of the steam coming from the water.
– Try not to move your face to close to the steam to avoid burning
– Repeat the procedure at interval (don’t just place your face over the steam for 5 minutes, try to take a break for some seconds before placing your face over the steam again)
– If you feel a burning sensation on your face or irritation,stop the steaming
Benefits of steaming your face before exfoliation
– Steaming opens up your pore
– Steaming make the exfoliation work better by making it sip into your skin to remove blackheads and dirts.
Café au lait facial scrub
What you’ll need:
½ cup coffee grounds
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. milk or buttermilk
1 tsp. honey
What to do:
– Add all ingredients to an airtight container and stir well.
– Spread scrub over your face and neck, avoiding your eyes.
– Wet your hands and begin gently rubbing the mixture into your skin in a circular motion (you don’t want to scrub your face roughly but gently to avoid burns). Continue for 3-4 minutes.
– Rinse off using lukewarm water and pat dry.
– You can use a moisturizer depending on your choice ( Vaseline,vitamin E oil e.t.c)
Store any remaining scrub in the fridge.
Tomatoes are loaded with natural astringent properties, and they are also helpful in cleaning the skin and tightening the pores.
What You Will Need
2 teaspoon sugar
How to Make and Apply
– Grate the tomato and discard the skin.
– Add sugar and mix well.
– Apply this tomato scrub on your face and neck.
– Wash your face with lukewarm water.
Replace sugar with brown sugar if you have very sensitive skin.
Tomatoes are rich in Vitamins A and C and replenish your skin with these nutrients. This homemade scrub can help in preventing acne, it lightens your complexion, removes tan, and makes your skin look fresh and smooth.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO EXFOLIATE
– Exfoliation doesn’t really have a best time but I would advice it is done when you want to sleep,why?
– After exfoliation,your skin becomes tender and sensitive so you need to give it rest
– You wouldn’t want to expose your face to the sun,go through stress,sweat and the likes after exfoliating. Nahhhhh
– Although some would advice you to use a sunscreen if you did your exfoliation in the morning but I would not really go with this. Your skin is at it’s most sensitive stage you wouldn’t want to add anything that would make your skin react especially for sensitive skin type.
– Which is why a moisturizer is the best to use on your skin after exfoliation.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU EXFOLIATE
Two times a week is enough but if you have a sensitive skin once a week is enough