The FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, has approved over N30 billion for the FCT Education Secretariat for the renovation and rehabilitation of some schools in the...
The FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, has approved over N30 billion for the FCT Education Secretariat for the renovation and rehabilitation of some schools in the nation’s capital.
The Mandate Secretary for the Secretariat, Dr Danlami Hayyo, told journalists in Abuja Tuesday that the minister had also directed that schools with serious dilapidated infrastructure should be considered first.
He said the minister also gave May deadline to the contractors that will be handling the projects.
Giving the breakdown, Dr Hayyo listed the benefitting schools in three categories, saying the minister approved N13.3b for the rehabilitation of 40 schools in the first place.
According to him, the minister also approved another N13.1 billion for the rehabilitation and renovation of 18 schools under the 1st batch of the All-School Approach model approved by the minister.
He said in the 2nd batch under the model, the minister approved N4.5 billion for the renovation and rehabilitation of four other schools.
Hayyo, who assured that all necessary procurement procedures would be followed, complained that the renovations were massive because the previous administration did not do much in the sector.
“The previous administration neglected the education sector. No meaningful intervention by the previous administration in the education sector of the FCT.
“That is why the huge work is going to be done by the current administration. That is why the minister took education as a serious matter and earmarked about N30 billion,” he said.
He also informed that the minister’s intervention led to the suspension of recent strike embarked upon by the local government workers including the primary school teachers.
He said the minister had agreed to pay 40 percent of 25 months minimum wage arrears the area council chairmen are owing the workers, adding that the council chairmen would pay the remaining 60 percent to be deducted from the source.